Ahhh New Years Eve. The day when we reflect on the year gone by and look to the next with hopes of losing ten pounds, getting that promotion, buying a new car, and spending more time with friends. Sure, you hoped for those same things last year but hey, this is a NEW year and this time you are serious. But I digress…
In all honesty, I haven’t the faintest idea of what I “resolved” to achieve in 2013. Clearly, it was not blogging. This might be the worst kept blog in history considering I have not written in over a year. As you can see from the above, I’ve been forced to deem 2013 “The Forgotten Year” based on the fact that it is anything but documented. So before it slips away at the stroke of midnight, let’s reflect, shall we?
I’m most happy about…
- Holding not one but TWO jobs throughout the entire year that have opened great doors when it comes to traveling, eating, writing, leading and learning.
- Achieving a new PR for a half marathon in March here in Miami (1:54:53)!
- Becoming the mother of a hedgehog named Watson. While it’s nice having a pet around, please consult me if you are thinking of owning a hedgehog and don’t trust those pictures of hedgehogs dressed in cute outfits.
- Ending a year of long distance (the worst) with the boyfriend when he decided to return last July to get his MBA at University of Miami.
- Seeing some great concerts including Luke Bryan, Shaggy (yes, Mr. Boombastic himself), The Henningsens (on a private yacht), and finally The Book of Mormon on tour and Avenue Q Off-Broadway.
- Being back again in Coral Gables, affording me the ability to cheer on my Hurricanes at Sunlife Stadium throughout the season, although the best game by far was against University of Florida when all my old college amigos returned for a reunion unlike any other.
I traveled to…
- Nashville for a best friend’s birthday
- Bogota, Colombia once again to celebrate Valentine’s Day with mi amor
- Jamaica three times for a TV shoot, press trip AND much needed vacation
- Saint Lucia for a culinary press trip
- The Bahamas to work at the aforementioned Shaggy concert
- Turks & Caicos for a TV shoot
- New York for both my birthday and a work event
- Orlando to go to Disneyworld with my grandma and extended family (no drinking around the world this time!)
- Denver for Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas (my family must really love me)
- Key West for a couples retreat with the roomie and our boyfriends
- Chicago for the first time to celebrate Independence Day with the fam
Of course, you can bet that I enjoyed some amazing meals around Miami and beyond. Special shout outs to My Ceviche, Eating House, Swine, Khong River House, Bread + Butter, Bulla, PB Steak, Bombay Darbar and Miami Culinary Tours (in Little Havana, South Beach AND Wynwood) for appeasing my appetite time and time again. I also tried new and exciting foods throughout the Caribbean and developed a liking for ackee and saltfish, fresh coconut water, conch fritters, and patties, all of which I plan to share more about in the coming year.
I hope you will eagerly join me in my pursuit to blog more as I share my adventures around Miami and beyond (think Jamaica, Colombia, maybe even Cuba).